Marinduque imposes stricter rules on visitors amid spike in cases

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, January 15) — The province of Marinduque has tightened its protocols for non-residents, especially those coming from areas under Alert Level 3.

Marinduque Governor Presbitero Velasco, Jr. on Saturday said medical examination is now required for visitors, particularly those exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms, on top of negative RT-PCR or antigen test results taken within three days prior to arrival.

They will also undergo mandatory isolation, he added.

Velasco said from zero active cases in December, the number of people currently sick in Marinduque jumped to 62 in light of the ongoing wave of infections. About 120 people also tested positive in the antigen tests.

The governor said he believes it is the Omicron variant that is causing the rapid spread of cases in the province.

"Ngayon lang po namin nakita ang ganyan kabilis na hawaan," he said. "Hindi po ganyan ang na-experience namin sa Delta variant last year."

[Translation: This is the first time that we have seen a transmission this fast. It's different from what we experienced with the Delta variant last year.]

RELATED: DOH: Omicron community transmission already happening

On Saturday, the country posted over 39,000 fresh cases, breaking its record yet again for the single-day increase in infections. The overall count rose to 3.17 million, with 8.9% or 280,813 active cases.