Grade 11 student shot dead as bloodbath continues in Negros Oriental

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, August 15) — A grade 11 student was shot dead while on his way to school in Sibulan, Negros Oriental, Thursday morning in the latest string of violent incidents in the province.

Police report said the victim, identified as Joshua Philip Partosa, 20, was walking to school with his two siblings at 6:50 a.m. when two pairs of unidentified men on board two separate motorcycles fired at him.

Partosa ran and tried to escape but the other men in another motorcycle followed him and shot him thrice.

When the victim fell on the ground, one of the suspects stabbed him in the neck.

Sibulan Municipal Police Station is now looking into the incident to identify the suspects and their whereabouts.

Authorities have also yet to identify the motive behind the killing.

The victim's father said his son was tagged in one of the seven stabbing incidents in Dumaguete City. Cases of frustrated murder had been filed against the victim, but the parent vehemently denied the accusations.

Partosa is the latest victim in the spate of killings in Negros Oriental.

More than 15 individuals, including policemen and public officials, have been reportedly killed in separate incidents in the province since July.

RELATED: Negros Oriental police chief sacked again amid new killings

The Philippine National Police had earlier deployed more than 300 special action forces to Negros Island following the violent events.

Human rights watchdog Defend Negros Network said at least 87 people have been reportedly killed in the island since 2017.

Dumaguete-based journalist Roy August Bustillo contributed to this report.