Decision on Marcos disqualification cases out by 'around Jan. 17'

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, January 8)— A decision on the disqualification cases filed against presidential aspirant Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos, Jr. is expected by "around Jan. 17," a Commission on Elections (Comelec) official said Saturday.

"After the raffle on Monday, a resolution of the First Division will be released around Jan 17," presiding Commissioner Rowena Guanzon wrote in a tweet. "The disqualification cases will be raffled on Monday."

On Friday, the division mounted a historic airing of the pre-conference for the petitions seeking to block Marcos' presidential run.

The event, however, failed to start on time due to the former senator's absence. The camp of Marcos - who is under isolation after exposure to coronavirus-positive staff - said he suffered from fever and had "difficulty in speaking due to a painfully congested throat."

RELATED: Bongbong Marcos in isolation after exposure to COVID-positive staff; sorry for skipping Comelec hearing

The poll body gave Marcos and the petitioners — Akbayan and the Campaign Against the Return of the Marcoses and Martial Law — until Sunday noon to submit their final answers to the pending cases.

A total of seven pleas were lodged against Marcos' 2022 bid. So far, two have been dismissed — one that sought to declare him a nuisance bet, and another aiming to cancel his certificate of candidacy.