COVID-19 cases in PH top 3 million

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, January 11) — Over three million people nationwide have now been confirmed hit by COVID-19 nearly two years into the pandemic after the Department of Health (DOH) reported 28,007 new infections on Tuesday.

The latest daily tally broke a three-day streak of record-breaking increase in cases, but is still the third highest logged by the country.

Based on official data, the total count has soared to 3,026,473, with 6% or 181,016 active cases.

This did not yet include results from 12 testing laboratories, the DOH said. Over the past two weeks, these laboratories contributed an average of 4.2% of all samples tested and 5.5% of all positive cases.

The bulletin also showed 58,409 coronavirus tests were reported on Jan. 9 — lower than the numbers in the past four days, which were at over 70,000.

The positivity rate was at 44.5%, meaning 4 in 10 people tested for COVID-19 turned out infected. This is the second biggest percentage recorded, following Monday’s 46%.

Of the newly added cases, 99% or 27,604 were detected within the last 14 days. The majority again came from Metro Manila, which registered 15,256. Calabarzon was the second top contributing region with 5,861, followed by Central Luzon with 3,064.

The department said 170,873 of the currently ill are mild cases; 5,521 are asymptomatic; 2,863 are moderate; 1,464 are severe; and 295 are critical.

The death toll also climbed to 52,511 after 219 more people lost their lives to the disease. Only 17 of these died in January, according to the DOH. The remaining 202 were encoded late, with fatalities going as far back as January 2021.

Meanwhile, another 4,471 got well, raising the total survivors to 2,792,946.

After final validation, the DOH said it reclassified as deaths 184 cases it previously tagged as recoveries. It also removed 64 duplicate entries from its data.

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III on Monday announced the country is now classified as at "critical risk" for COVID-19 after recording a massive 3,663% two-week growth rate in cases.