LGUs directed to prioritize second dose amid limited vaccine supply — Dizon

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, July 6) — Local government units have been instructed to use their remaining vaccines for second-dose completion as the country awaits more shipments, a National Task Force Against COVID-19 official said on Tuesday.

NTF deputy chief implementer Vince Dizon said the directive came following a delay in the delivery of more Sinovac vaccines.

“Ang sabi natin sa mga LGU, lalo na sa NCR (National Capital Region), focus muna tayo sa second dose kasi gusto natin siguradong makuha ng mga kababayan natin ang kanilang second dose,” Dizon said in a briefing.

[Translation: We told LGUs, especially in the NCR, to focus first on administering the second dose because we want Filipinos to complete their vaccination.]

Some LGUs in the country have halted their immunization drive after supplies ran out. Dizon said the arrival of additional doses from Beijing-based Sinovac was moved to July 18, but he added NTF chief implementer Carlito Galvez, Jr. is still working to have it possibly delivered by next week.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque also previously said the country is expecting some 1.1 million AstraZeneca and Sputnik V doses this week.

Food and Drug Administration Director General Eric Domingo earlier stressed the importance of completing vaccination, saying "breakthrough" infections — or cases of vaccinated people still contracting the coronavirus — are notably lower among those who have had their two shots.

READ: COVID-19 infections among vaccinated persons much lower after second dose — FDA