Interior chief Año again tests positive for COVID-19

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, August 16)— Interior Secretary Eduardo Año on Sunday confirmed he again tested positive for COVID-19.

In a statement, Año said he began experiencing flu-like symptoms— including sore throat and body aches— on August 13, prompting him to go on self-quarantine. He had himself tested for the virus the following day.

“Last night, August 15, I received my test result informing me that I am once again positive for COVID-19,” Año said, noting that he is “being closely monitored” by the doctors while undergoing isolation.

The Interior chief also called on individuals with whom he had close contact to go on self-quarantine and monitor possible symptoms in accordance with the Health Department’s guidelines.

“I also make this announcement to emphasize the severity of the virus, and to encourage everyone to wear a mask, wash their hands frequently, and practice social distancing. By adhering to these guidelines, we can all help keep our loved ones and our community safe,” he added.

Año was the first Cabinet member to contract the coronavirus, having tested positive for COVID-19 back in March.

Education Secretary Leonor Briones and Public Works Secretary Mark Villar have also previously announced that they tested positive for the viral disease.

To date, COVID-19 infections in the country have surpassed 157,000, with over 4,000 new cases reported on Saturday.

This is a developing story.