Police allegedly maul a quarantine violator in General Trias, Cavite

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
maxPaginationLinks: 10

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, May 16) – A factory worker was allegedly beaten black and blue by police officers in General Trias, Cavite on May 12.

Thirty-year old Ronald Campo was arrested for violating quarantine policies in Tropical Village, Barangay San Francisco.

Aside from bruises and wounds all over his body, Campo also sustained a fracture on his skull, his brother Rolando told CNN Philippines.

With the damages incurred, Rolando said his brother is still lucky to survive the alleged mauling of policemen to tell his own tale.

"Nakahiga pa rin, hirap pa ring gumalaw sir. Yung katawan niya kasi sobrang bugbog, lamog na lamog po," Rolando describing his brother currently confined at the General Emilio Aguinaldo Memorial Hospital in Trece Martires City.

[Translation: He is still lying in bed and still hard to move sir. His body was so bruised.]

Rolando took a video of his older brother recalling the incident.

In his narrative, Ronald said he was arrested along with other curfew violators in Tropical Village night of May 12.

They were then brought to the General Trias town plaza where they were ordered to exercise as a form of penalty to their violation.

Ronald said he fell asleep at the plaza until a policeman woke him and another man up and were told that a high-ranking officer wants to talk to them. That's around midnight of May 13.

They were then brought to a dark area near the plaza where they were allegedly beaten up.

"Inaano po nila ako ng batuta, tapos sinusuntok nila ako sa mukha. Nagtatakbo na lang ako. Nasasaktan na po nila ako," he narrated.

[Translation: They were beating me up with a club, then they punched me in the face. I ran, knowing they are hurting me.]

"Tapos tumakbo na lang po ako, sobrang takot ko kasi baka patayin na lang nila ako e. Kaya tumakbo na lang po ako. Humingi po ako ng tulong sa iba."

[Translation: Then I ran and I am so scared because maybe they will kill me. That's why I ran. I sought help from others.]

Ronald said he was caught in a house of an old man, he didn't know where exactly is.

"Tapos inabutan ko na lang, pinagsasasaktan nila ako. Tapos nawalan na ako ng malay noon," his memory ended there until he woke up and was already being treated at the hospital.

[Translation: I remember they are hurting me. Then I lost my consciousness.]

In a Facebook post, Rolando said at 6:00 in the morning of May 13, all persons arrested on May 12 were already allowed to go home... But not Ronald.

A village resident who was also among those arrested told them through a common friend to go to the police station to check on Ronald.

Rolando and his mother went to the police station, his brother was not there.

After some exchanges with policemen on duty, they were told that Ronald was brought to a hospital.

"Ayan na ang naabutan ko sa kuya ko. Basag daw ang bungo sa bandang pisngi. 'Di kami kilala," Rolando said in his post.

[Translation: That's what I saw with my older brother. His skull is broken, near his cheeks. He cannot distinguish us anymore.]

"Nung nakita niya ako sabi niya sakin ng paulit-ulit, 'Sir patayin mo na lang ako.' Bakit ganon na lang kadali sa kuya kong sabihin yun. Kasi kung ganon, sobrang pahirap ginawa sa kanya," Rolando lamented.

[Translation: When he saw me, he said repeatedly "Sir just kill me." Why is it so easy for him to say that. If that's the case, he should have suffered so much.]

Police report

In a police report obtained by CNN Philippines, members of the PNP Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) carried out an operation in Tropical Village at around midnight of May 13.

Ronald was among those arrested. The report said he was under the influence of alcohol.

Upon arriving at the police station, the police reported that Ronald tried to escape by running away.

He allegedly led the police, only identified as Cpl. Barte and Cpl. Villostas, to a chase.

Eventually, barangay tanods were also chasing Ronald until they were able to corner him at a private property.

The report stated "he (Ronald) jumped over a concrete fence but slips his feet and fell down on the pavement..."

When asked about the incident, Cavite Police Chief Col. Marlon Santos denied the allegation of Campo.

"Yung alleged na binugbog e hindi siya binugbog. Pinaninindigan ng chief of police na hindi siya binugbog... Sa kanyang effort na tumakas, umakyat siya ng bubong, dahil sa kalasingan niya, nalaglag siya, una ulo. Tinalon niya ang swimming pool na walang tubig. Nalaglag sa kanal in his efforts to elude arrest," Santos told CNN Philippines over the phone.

[Translation: The alleged victim was not beaten up. The chief of police insisted that he was not beaten up. In his effort to escape, he went to the top of the roof and because he was drunk, he fell with his head first. He jumped into a swimming pool without water. He fell in the canal in his efforts to elude arrest.]

Authorities have filed quarantine violation charges against Ronald at the General Trias Prosecutors Office.


International Group Human Rights Watch (HRW) in a statement said what happened to Ronald deserves justice.

"Whoever tortured him to the brink of death need to be investigated and held to account. Torturing somebody like that just because he allegedly violated curfew and allegedly tried to evade the authorities is barbaric and inhumane," said Carlos Conde of HRW.

The group also calls for an in-depth investigation on the matter.