Coronavirus patient from Cainta, Rizal in 'critical condition'

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, March 7) — The 62-year-old resident of Cainta, Rizal province, who tested positive for the novel coronavirus is in "critical condition," health authorities said Saturday.

According to the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine, where the patient is confined, the man has been diagnosed with acute kidney injury as well, on top of severe pneumonia, hypertension, and diabetes milletus.

The kidney injury "may be due to multiple factors present in the patient," RITM Director Celia Carlos said in a media briefing.

She said some "good developments" were also seen in the patient.

"His oxygen requirement is less and his need for drugs to elevate his blood pressure is also less," Carlos said.

Still, Health Secretary Franciso Duque said, "That's critical condition."

He added that based on the experiences of other countries, it takes "a very long time" for patients with severe clinical conditions to recover from coronavirus. The average is three to six weeks, he said.

In an earlier interview with CNN Philippines, Cainta Mayor Johnielle Keith Nieto said the patient is "getting better, he's recovering fast." He said this is based on a report from the municipal health officer who is monitoring the patient's case.

READ: Cainta, Rizal steps up coronavirus measures amid confirmed case

The patient was first confined at the Cardinal Santos Medical Center in San Juan City on March 1 and diagnosed with severe pneumonia. He was confirmed to have the coronavirus disease on March 5, and was transferred to the RITM in Muntinlupa City.

The Department of Health on Saturday confirmed that the man is the country's first case of local transmission, since he had no recent travel history abroad. His 59-year-old wife also tested positive for the coronavirus disease.

Aside from the couple, another confirmed case is a 48-year-old man who works for Taguig-based consulting firm Deloitte Philippines. He recently traveled to Tokyo, Japan.

READ: Philippines confirms 2 cases of local coronavirus transmission

Carlos said the two other patients are exhibiting mild respiratory symptoms and are in stable condition.

The Philippines now has six confirmed coronavirus of coronavirus. Earlier, three Chinese visitors have been infected with the virus – one of them died, while the remaining two have since recovered and left the country.

The new coronavirus has killed more than 3,400 people, mostly in China, since the outbreak began in Wuhan City in Hubei province in December last year. It has infected over 101,300 people worldwide.