Gov't prepared for attacks on power facilities

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — There could be more attacks on transmission towers in Mindanao before the May 9 elections, energy officials said on Wednesday (April 27).

Last week, two more transmission towers were bombed, but these were immediately repaired.

Over 20 bombing attacks on transmission towers in Mindanao have been recorded since 2015. Some towers were damaged, causing power cuts in southern parts of the region.

"Alam naming the threat is there kasi diba palagi naman may mga nangyayari maya't maya. In fact, we just had tower 95 and 96," said Monsada.

[Translation: "We know the threat is there because the bombings have been frequent."]

The Deparment of Energy's Power Task Force Election 2016 is preparing for all possibilities.

Related: Gov't assures public of 'comfortable' power supply during elections

With the help of the police and the military, the group is securing energy facilities in danger areas such as Cotabato and Lanao.

"We have instructed people on the ground, yung mga lower units na siguraduhing magpatrolya at makita yung seguridad doon sa concerned areas," said Col. Jose Alejandro Nacnac.

In the event of attacks on May 9, the National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP) will be on standby to immediately restore electricity and fix damaged facilities.

"We reiterate our call for vigilance sa public in helping us safeguard our lines especially parating na elections," said NGCP spokesperson Cynthia Alabanza.

Related: NGCP worried over possible power shortage during elections

No need for emergency powers

However, the DOE said there is no need to seek emergency powers from President Aquino to address the problem on power.

Emergency powers can allow a president to come up with additional generating capacity to address the power situation.

Monsada said there is no need for it since there is no power crisis, adding that stakeholders are cooperating to ensure there will be enough power supply on election day.

But she warned that a blackout-free elections will depend on the capacity of power plants.

NGCP cannot promise 'blackout-free' Mindanao on May 9

CNN Philippines' Kristine De Guzman contributed to this report.