Three cases of election-related violence recorded on second day of campaign period

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — It's only the second day of the campaign period, but there were already three cases of suspected poll-related incidents reported to the Philippine National Police (PNP).

PNP spokesperson Wilben Mayor said that a barangay captain was shot dead in Masbate. Meanwhile, two separate shooting incidents killed a candidate for councilor and a local campaigner in Surigao Del Norte.

Sr. Supt. Harris Fama, director of the Negros Oriental Police Provincial Office, said in a text message that a total of 68 wanted persons with warrants of arrest have been in police custody for gun ban violations in the province. Aside from the arrest, 10 firearms were confiscated and six surrendered.

In 2010, the PNP recorded over 160 election-related incidents and 109 in 2013.

For this season's election gun ban, there were over 800 violators so far since January 10 when the election period began. Some 660 firearms and more than 4,000 other deadly weapons have also been confiscated.

At the moment, the PNP has six provinces on its election watchlist. These are Pangasinan, Masbate, Negros Oriental, Lanao Del Sur, Maguindanao, and Western Samar.

Journalist Roy Bustillo from Negros Oriental contributed to this report.