'Spread love, not hate': Slaughter denies contract demands, knowledge of any trade

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, February 14) —Greg Slaughter addressed what he termed as "inaccurate theories" involving his decision to take a break from basketball.

The six-year veteran, who played all his years for Barangay Ginebra, shocked basketball fans when he announced his decision last week. He cited the need to "work on myself in all aspects."

On a Twitter post on Valentine's Day, Slaughter clarified rumors circulating in social media.

"I never received any contract offer. It’s unfair to say I made demands when there was no offer," he said.

His contract expired with Ginebra, the team that drafted him first in the 2013 PBA Draft. There were several news reports that claimed Slaughter demanded a 'no trade' clause in his new contract.

There were also social media rumors saying that Slaughter is on his way to another team.

"I was never aware of any trade," he said, ending his post with a Valentine greeting and hashtag #SpreadLoveNotHate.

One trade rumor said the Ginebra big man was part of a deal that would send him and rookie Jerrick Balanza to Northport Batang Pier in exchange for 2019 Governors' Cup Best Player of the Conference Christian Standhardinger.

Slaughter is a five-time PBA All-Star and has donned the national colors multiple times. He was part of the Gilas Pilipinas team that won gold in the 2019 SEA Games.