No reported casualties, injuries after magnitude 7.1 quake rocks Mindanao

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, January 22) — There were no reported casualties or injuries following the powerful 7.1 magnitude earthquake that jolted Mindanao on Thursday night, a local official said on Friday.

Davao Occidental PDRRMO Harry Camoro said no major damage was observed after coordination with local officials in the area.

"Right after the strong quake, we messaged all the local chief executives to give us information regarding any damages or casualties. So far po, they forwarded images that there's no major damage po na reported or any casualties or injuries po," he told CNN Philippines.

He said the strong shaking of the ground lasted for around one minute, adding that at least three aftershocks were felt.

The earthquake hit the waters off Jose Abad Santos town in Davao Occidental at around 8:23 p.m., with strong intensities felt in some parts of Mindanao.

Intensity 5, considered by state seismologist Phivolcs as "strong," was felt in General Santos City and the municipalities of Kiamba, Glan, Maitum, and Malungon in Sarangani province.

Intensity 4, deemed "moderately strong," was recorded in Davao City, Cotabato City, Digos City, Sta. Cruz in Davao del Sur, and the municipalities of Alabel, Maasim, and Malapatan in Sarangani province. Intensity 3 was felt in San Francisco in Southern Leyte, Datu Blah T. Sinsuat in Maguindanao, Zamboanga City, and Cagayan de Oro City.

Phivolcs said there is no tsunami threat but aftershocks are expected.