Cebu City Councilor and ex-solon Antonio Cuenco dies of COVID-19

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, June 27) — Cebu City Councilor and former congressman Antonio Cuenco succumbed to the coronavirus disease on Saturday, his family confirmed.

He was 84.

Cuenco, a former House Deputy Speaker was principal author of the Dangerous Drugs Act of 2000.

Cuenco's son, former Cebu City Councilor James Anthony Cuenco in a statement said the family was shocked by the sudden death of their patriarch.

"It happened so fast and has left us very shocked to realize that the good man that we have had the opportunity to have as our father (with my siblings Ronald, Antonio Jr and Cynthia) and a good husband to my mother, Nancy, is gone," the younger Cuenco said.

Despite testing positive for COVID-19 last week, the elder Cuenco attended the virtual council sessions on Wednesday. He was rushed to the hospital the next day and passed away this afternoon.

He was the first confirmed COVID-19 case among Cebu City officials.

Twelve barangays considered as COVID-19 "hotspots" in Cebu City are under hard lockdown to contain the spread of the virus.

Cebu-based stringer Dale Israel contributed to this report.