Military seizes bomb-making material in Sulu

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, September 17)— The military recovered nearly a ton of a bomb-making inputs during an operation in Sulu on Saturday.

In a statement Tuesday, the Joint Task Force Sulu said authorities have seized at least 700 kilograms of ammonium nitrate and another bomb component, an 81-mm mortar fuse in Barangay Latih in Patikul town over the weekend.

The task force said it received a tip from a local resident about a suspected explosive device in an abandoned house. Government troops “responded immediately” to the reports, it added.

Authorities have yet to determine the identity of those behind the materials. The Sulu police said ammonium nitrate has been used by the Abu Sayyaf Group for making home-made bombs.

A suicide bombing incident rocked a military detachment in Sulu last week. Police have yet to identify the culprit, but a DNA test confirmed that a female suicide female bomber was behind the attack.

This is the latest in a string of blasts reported in Patikul this year. Twin explosions rocked the Sulu town in separate incidents in February and August.

A number of soldiers were also killed earlier this year in Patikul, a known lair of the Abu Sayyaf group, after fighting with the bandit group.

RELATED: Five killed, including two suspected suicide bombers in twin blasts in a military camp in Sulu