Dengue death toll in Bicol Region rises to 36 – DOH

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, July 23)— A total of 36 people have died due to dengue in Bicol Region as of July 20, the Department of Health (DOH) Bicol Regional Office said Tuesday.

Local health officials said the dengue cases already exceeded the epidemic threshold, with 3,127 cases recorded.

The spike in dengue cases and deaths in the region has prompted authorities to raise a “code blue” alert over the area.

Maria Cecilia Pan, entomologist and regional dengue coordinator, said Camarines Sur has listed the most number of cases so far with 1,248. It is followed by Albay with 595 cases, Sorsogon with 537, Catanduanes with 408, Masbate with 205 and Camarines Norte with 132.

While Pan expects dengue cases to surge due to the “three-year epidemiologic cycle,” she stressed it can still be prevented through a “search-and-destroy” strategy on mosquitoes’ breeding areas.

DOH-Bicol is also currently monitoring 33 hotspot barangays (villages) in 10 towns and cities for dengue cases. The local government of Daraga in Albay has also been conducting misting of clustered barangays suspected as breeding areas of denuge mosquitoes.

The Health Department earlier this month declared a “national dengue alert” for the first time due to the rapid rise of dengue cases throughout the country.

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III on Saturday told CNN Philippines that several other regions, including CALABARZON, Western Visayas, Eastern Visayas, and the Zamboanga Peninsula were put under “code red” alert due to the surge in dengue cases.