Dolphin in Palawan dies due to plastics in stomach

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, June 29) — Another sea creature has died due to plastics in the ocean.

Ten Knots, the company behind El Nido Resorts in Palawan, reported that a rough-toothed dolphin that they had rescued Friday had died the next day.

The dolphin, which was named Wally, was beached in Nacpan beach early morning Friday. Staff and doctors had attempted to rescue the dolphin, feeding it and releasing it back to the wild, but it died the next day.

Upon post-mortem examination, Ten Knots found that the dolphin had swallowed a plastic garbage bag, which got stuck in its stomach and prevented its food from passing through.

"More and more animals are popping up sick or worse, dead from plastic pollution. It is happening so much that it has now become the rule, rather than the exception," Ten Knots said in a statement.

The company added that single-use plastics should be eliminated.

"We can only truly start cleaning up the earth once we eliminate the use of single-use plastics," it said.

On Friday a sea turtle was found dead in Negros Occidental. It was believed to have ingested and defecated plastic garbage.

READ: Sea turtle believed to have eaten plastic found dead in Negros Occidental

CNN Philippines' Rex Remitio contributed to this story.