TIMELINE: The hazing death of John Matthew Salilig

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
maxPaginationLinks: 10

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, March 6) — Ten days after he was reported missing on Feb.18, Adamson University student John Matthew Salilig was found dead, his body almost unrecognizable, in a vacant lot in Imus, Cavite. Authorities said he most likely died due to hazing conducted by the Tau Gamma Phi (Triskelion) fraternity.

Here’s what we know so far regarding the case.

February 28

Adamson University confirmed the death of the 24-year-old chemical engineering student who was reported missing on Feb. 18. His body was found in a shallow grave in Brgy. Malagasang 1-G in Imus City, Cavite.

The Laguna Provincial Police Office said the victim attended the initiation rites of the Tau Gamma Phi fraternity in Biñan on the day he went missing.

The university said it had launched its own investigation.

March 1

Police served a search warrant on the vehicle of one of the suspects in the alleged hazing of Salilig. It was presented to Gregorio Cruz, the owner of the vehicle that brought the lifeless body of the student to Cavite.

Authorities identified 18 persons of interest. Six of them were invited for investigation, while two were arrested for obstruction of justice, including the father of one of the suspects.

The police said a member of the fraternity revealed to them the location of Salilig’s body.

Meanwhile, President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. assured the bereaved family that justice will be served.

March 2

The autopsy conducted by the Cavite Provincial Crime Laboratory revealed that Salilig died from "severe blunt force trauma to the lower extremities.” Several hematomas – the pooling of blood outside of a blood vessel -- were noted on his body, particularly on his chest and thighs.

Biñan City police chief PLtCol Virgilio Jopia said authorities have filed charges against the six fraternity members linked to the death of Salilig and injuries of complainant Roi Osmond dela Cruz for violating the Anti-Hazing Act of 2018.

March 3

Jopia said officials saw traces of possible hazing in a house in Barangay Casile where the incident took place. He also revealed that the property was owned by one of the six arrested members of the Tau Gamma Phi fraternity.

Asked if it can be established that Salilig was killed through hazing, Jopia answered in the affirmative. He added that the police were still searching for the paddle used on Salilig, which was allegedly burned.

The Biñan police chief urged the two other victims to cooperate with the police to clear their names and avoid facing charges.

Jewellord Peralta, Grand Triskelion of Tau Gamma Phi Global, revealed that the Adamson chapter of Tau Gamma Phi previously refused to comply with the fraternity's no-contact policy.

Meanwhile, the Department of Justice (DOJ) junked the obstruction of justice complaint earlier filed against the father of one of the suspects.

Later that day, Jopia said one of the persons of interest was found dead in his house in Taguig City on Feb. 28. He said the case was listed as a suicide.

March 4

Salilig was laid to rest in his hometown in Zamboanga City.

On the same day, the so-called "master initiator," who was with Salilig the night before he died, underwent inquest proceedings at the DOJ.

This story will be updated.