Gov’t working to bring home remains of OFW slain in Kuwait

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, January 25) — The Philippine Embassy in Kuwait is now working to bring home the remains of the 35-year-old Filipina domestic worker allegedly killed by her employer’s 17-year-old son.

The embassy on Wednesday said it is coordinating with the Kuwaiti government for Jullebee Ranara's remains to be immediately released and repatriated to her family in the Philippines, as well as for the early resolution of the case.

“The Embassy and the Filipino community in Kuwait extend their deepest condolences to the family of the late Ms. Ranara as they mourn the loss of their loved one,” it wrote in a statement.

Over the weekend, Ranara’s burnt body was recovered by police at a desert in Salmi, Al-Jarah Governorate.

The embassy said it is still confirming with Kuwaiti authorities the other details surrounding the death which were reported by news media there.

According to an Arab Times report, autopsy results showed that the slain Filipina was pregnant.

The Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) earlier said the suspect has been arrested.

READ: DMW vows justice for slain OFW in Kuwait

“The Embassy greatly appreciates the swift action and response of the Kuwaiti Police, especially in the apprehension of the suspected perpetrator, and in the investigation of Ms. Ranara’s death,” the Philippine Embassy said.

Ranara is the latest overseas Filipino worker killed in Kuwait, host to over 240,000 Filipinos.

The Philippines had earlier imposed a labor deployment ban to the Middle Eastern country after the gruesome deaths of Filipino domestic workers there.

However, the DMW on Tuesday said it is not yet considering another ban, adding it is looking into forming “additional safeguards” for now to ensure the safety of OFWs in Kuwait.