DMW vows justice for slain OFW in Kuwait

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, January 23) – The Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) on Monday condemned the murder of an overseas Filipino worker (OFW) in Kuwait.

The burnt body of 35-year-old domestic helper Jullebee Ranara was found in the desert on Saturday, the DMW said in a statement.

The department said Kuwaiti authorities have confirmed they have arrested the suspect — the son of Ranara's employer.

An Arab Times report said autopsy showed the Filipino woman was pregnant. It said the suspect was a 17-year-old Kuwaiti national.

Ranara is the latest OFW killed in Kuwait, host to over 240,000 Filipinos. The Philippines had earlier imposed a labor deployment ban to Kuwait after the gruesome deaths of several Filipino domestic workers there.

"Secretary Ople and the entire department condemns this heinous crime and urges the Kuwaiti government to work on the early resolution of the case and its perpetrators brought to justice," the DMW statement added.

READ: PH gov't seeks justice for OFW death in Kuwait

Ople also reached out to the bereaved family of Ranara and said the department will provide them all the necessary support they need at their time of grief.

The DMW said it is awaiting Kuwaiti authorities' official report on the incident.

The department is closely monitoring developments on the case alongside the Department of Foreign Affairs.

In April 2018, the Philippines imposed a workers deployment ban to Kuwait following the killing of Filipina domestic helper Joanna Daniela Demafelis, who was found in a freezer at an abandoned apartment in the Gulf state.

The ban was partially lifted the same year, after the two countries signed a protection agreement for Filipino workers in Kuwait.

But in May 2019, the Labor Department said 47-year-old overseas Filipino worker Constancia Lago Dayag died at the hands of her employer in Kuwait. Another worker, Jeanelyn Villavende, was reported killed in December 2019, prompting the government to impose a total deployment ban to Kuwait in January 2020.

The ban was lifted in February 2020, after the filing of murder charges against Villavende's employers.