Enrile asks to skip Marcos inauguration after COVID diagnosis

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

(FILE PHOTO)

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, June 27) — Incoming Presidential Legal Counsel Juan Ponce Enrile said he has asked permission to skip the inauguration of President-elect Ferdinand Marcos Jr. on Thursday after testing positive for COVID-19.

"I informed the Executive Secretary the Hon. Victor E. Rodriguez, about it and requested him to inform the President and ask him that I be excused from attending the oath taking ceremonies of the President and the Vice President on June 30th at noon because I will still be in the hospital by then to complete the Anti-viral regimen prescribed by my doctors," Enrile said in a Facebook post on Monday.

The 98-year-old Enrile said the diagnosis was made days ago and he has not felt any discomfort.

"No chills. No fever. No head ache. No malaise. My body temperature ranges from 36* to 36.8*. My body oxygen ranges from 96 to 99. All my physical vital signs and blood chemistry readings were normal."

Enrile took a jab at his critics, telling them not to rejoice as he was not in critical condition.

"Far from it. God gave me very good doctors. He want(s) me, I humbly think, to stay here for sometime more to engage you to help clear and clean up, if possible, your distorted narrative of our history for the benefit of the uninformed innocent people."

Marcos named Enrile to be Presidential Legal Counsel once he assumes office. Enrile was justice secretary and defense minister during the term of of Marcos' father.

His daughter, Katrina commented on the post saying she was praying for her father's "complete recovery and for length of days." Enrile also served as Senate President and previously ran unsuccessfully for president.

Rodriguez, who is Marcos' spokesperson, has not commented on Enrile's request.