Guanzon takes oath as party-list representative; Comelec denies Duterte Youth challenge

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, June 23)— A recently retired poll commissioner will join the ranks of members of the incoming 19th Congress, prevailing over an attempt to block her entry via substitution for party mates who resigned.

Rowena Guanzon on Thursday said she took her oath as representative of party-list group P3PWD (Komunidad ng Pamilya, Pasyente at Persons With Disabilities).

Guanzon shared photos of the event on her social media accounts.

Guanzon took her oath the same day Comelec announced that it denied a challenge to its former member by the Duterte Youth party-list, in particular her substitution.

Duterte Youth said P3PWD submitted substitution documents past the deadline.

RELATED: Duterte Youth to SC: Bar Guanzon from assuming party-list rep

In a message to the media, acting Comelec spokesperson Rex Laudiangco said rules allow the submission of more nominees “when the list of nominees had been exhausted.”

P3PWD secured a congressional seat in the May 9 elections. All its five original nominees then resigned and submitted to Comelec a new set of names that included Guanzon.

Comelec approved the substitution the next day.