SUV driver in hit-and-run incident submits counter-affidavit

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, June 23) — Jose Antonio Sanvicente, the SUV driver who ran over a security guard earlier this month, on Thursday filed his counter affidavit on the frustrated murder and abandonment charges filed against him at the Mandaluyong Prosecutor's Office.

Sanvicente, who skipped the first preliminary investigation hearing last week, was mum when asked about his sworn statement. But a source privy to the case told CNN Philippines that the suspect said in his affidavit that he accidentally bumped security guard Christian Floralde who was directing traffic near a mall in Mandaluyong City last June 5.

When Sanvicente's lawyer was asked for confirmation or clarification, Atty. Danny Macalino replied, "Sinabi niya, it's the least of his intention. Hindi naman intentional ang nangyari. As is na lang."

[Translation: He said it was the least of his intention. What happened was not intentional.]

Sanvicente's parents earlier claimed that the incident was an "accident" during their press conference with Philippine National Police officer-in-charge Vicente Danao last week.

Floralde's lawyer, Atty. Federico Biolena, said otherwise.

"I think initially it was an accident. The succeeding events, it's up to you to conclude... May lawyer siya [He has a lawyer]. Let his lawyer explain," the counsel said.

Biolena said the uploader of the viral video, which caught the hit-and-run incident, has sworn to the authenticity of that evidence that he presented to the prosecutor on Wednesday.

The prosecutor will evaluate the pieces of evidence and testimonies from both parties to determine if there is sufficient reason to file charges before the court.