DOLE allots ₱455M for emergency employment in areas hit by ‘Karding’

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

(FILE PHOTO)

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, October 2) — The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) has allocated over ₱455 million for an emergency employment program in Central Luzon and Calabarzon, which were hit by Typhoon Karding.

"Through the Tulong Panghanapbuhay sa Ating Disadvantaged/Displaced Workers (TUPAD) program, informal sector workers in the said regions are employed for a minimum period of 10 days to assist in clearing, cleaning, de-clogging of canals, debris segregation, materials recovery, and other activities needed in the rehabilitation of their communities," DOLE said in a statement Sunday.

RELATED: Infra damage due to 'Karding' reaches304M NDRRMC

RELATED: Agri damage due to 'Karding' tops ₱3B -- NDRRMC

DOLE Central Luzon Regional Director Geraldine Panlilio said ₱363 million was allocated for the region while DOLE Calabarzon Regional Director Exequiel Ronie Guzman said ₱90.6 million was allocated for Calabarzon.

Labor Secretary Bienvenido Laguesma has assured that additional funds will be made available should the initial amounts be insufficient.

The DOLE Regional Office disbursed the salaries of 31,333 TUPAD beneficiaries in Bulacan, Tarlac, and Bataan right after the typhoon's onslaught last week.

Panlilio said 14,000 beneficiaries are currently engaged under the program while 29,000 others are set to be employed next week.

DOLE Central Luzon will also work with the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority for the carpentry skills training of workers in Bulacan, Aurora, and Nueva Ecija, she added.

Meanwhile, DOLE Calabarzon said more than 19,800 workers in Polillo Island, Burdeos and several towns of Quezon, Rizal, Laguna, Batangas and Cavite will benefit from the emergency employment program.