Palace: EJKs ‘not allowed’ under Duterte administration, nothing wasted in drug war

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, January 25) — Malacañang on Monday defended President Rodrigo Duterte’s war on illegal drugs, maintaining that extrajudicial killings are not sanctioned under the campaign.

Ipinagbabawal natin ang EJK, bawal po ‘yan. Bawal ang any extrajudicial means. At kung sinuman ang kailangang parusahan, sinuman ang naakusahan, kung sinuman ang gumawa ng ganoon ay ipo-prosecute natin,” said acting presidential spokesperson Karlo Nograles.

[Translation: We do not allow EJKs, that’s illegal. Extrajudicial means are not allowed. And we whoever needs to be punished, is accused, or has committed such an act, we’ll prosecute.]

Pangalawa po, wala pong sinayang si Pangulong Duterte dito sa laban against illegal drugs and the facts will speak for themselves,” Nograles further said.

[Translation: Secondly, President Duterte did not waste anything in our fight against illegal drugs and the facts will speak for themselves.]

The spokesman was responding to presidential aspirant Sen. Ping Lacson’s remarks describing as “sayang” the chief executive’s drug war, and criticizing how it resorted to “extrajudicial means.” 

Nograles reported that the government has seized and destroyed over ₱74 billion in illegal drugs from 2016 until November last year, along with laboratory equipment and paraphernalia.

Over 23,600 barangays nationwide have been cleared from the grip of the illegal drug trade, he added.

Hindi po nasayang ‘yung pagkakataon at patuloy pa rin po ang ating malawakang campaign against illegal drugs here in the country,” said Nograles.

[Translation: The opportunity wasn’t wasted and the widespread campaign against illegal drugs here in the country continues.]

The Department of Justice’s drug war report released in October last year found lapses in police operation protocols concerning the war on drugs. The Free Legal Assistance Group criticized the DOJ findings as “grossly insufficient.”

The International Criminal Court in November temporarily suspended its probe into the bloody campaign upon the Philippine government’s request. State officials have since maintained the country will not cooperate with the ICC.

RELATED: Drug War 2021: The wait continues