PH records 28,471 new COVID-19 infections; active cases down to 284,458

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

The country lists 28,471 new COVID-19 cases, the first time since Jan. 12 that the single-day tally was below 30,000.

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, January 18) – Another 28,471 people in the country have been infected with COVID-19, the Department of Health said on Tuesday.

This is the first time since Jan. 12 that the single-day tally was below 30,000.

It raised the total case count to 3,270,758, where 8.7% or 284,458 are active cases. This number of currently sick people is down from the all-time high of nearly 291,000 reported on Monday.

However, the DOH said five testing laboratories did not submit data on time. It noted the five facilities made up for 1.7% of all samples tested and 2.1% of all positive results over the last two weeks.

Its update also showed only 51,738 coronavirus tests were reported on Jan. 16. This is much lower than the numbers logged in the five days prior, which were at around 77,000 to over 81,000 a day.

The latest daily positivity rate – or the percentage of people tested for COVID-19 who turned out infected – slightly dipped but remained high at 43.4%.

Three regions in Luzon accounted for around 71% of the added cases: Metro Manila with 9,887; Calabarzon with 6,671; and Central Luzon with 2,970.

According to the DOH, 97% of the newly announced infections nationwide occurred within the past 14 days, while the other 3% were recorded late.

Recoveries also rose to 2,933,338 after 34,892 more patients got well.

The death toll, meanwhile, edged closer to 53,000 at 52,962. This was after the DOH confirmed 34 new deaths, of which 33 occurred this month. There was a delay in the reporting of one death in July 2020.

After final validation, the DOH deleted 86 duplicates from its data and reclassified as fatalities four cases it previously tagged as survivors.