Robredo: Filipinos should not allow another Marcos to reign

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, September 19) — Vice President Leni Robredo has expressed strong opposition to a possible presidential run of the son of the late dictator Ferdinand E. Marcos.

"Alam natin kung ano ang ginawa ni Marcos sa Pilipinas. Hindi 'yun speculation. Despite na grabe 'yung fake news, naka-record 'yun sa history kung ano ang ginawa ni Marcos sa bansa natin," she said during her weekly radio show on Sunday.

[Translation: We know what (the late former president Ferdinand) Marcos did to the Philippines. That's not speculation. Despite the ridiculous fake news (about his regime), what Marcos did to our country is recorded in history.]

Robredo urged Filipinos to unite and not let the Philippines suffer the same fate as in the Marcos regime.

The Vice President continues talks with other potential 2022 bets in a bid to unite groups against the Duterte administration. Late last week, she bared plans to meet with Manila Mayor Isko Moreno and Senator Manny Pacquiao.

But if she will only compete against former senator Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr., whom she defeated in the vice presidential race last 2016, Robredo said she was ready to declare her candidacy for next year's presidential election.

READ: Robredo ready to run for President if chosen by unity ticket

"Kapag ako ang unity candidate, handang handa ako," she said.

[Translation: If I am chosen the unity candidate, I will be very much ready.]