Palace: No kickbacks on face shields

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, June 24) — Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque dismissed claims the face shield mandate has become a money-making scheme.

"Wala akong alam sa raket na tinatawag. Naiintindihan ko naman na napakahirap nang [mayroong] face shield... pero kailangan paniwalaan natin ang sinasabi ng syensya," he said in a virtual briefing Friday.

[Translation: I have no idea about that supposed scheme. I understand it's really difficult to wear face shields... but we have to believe what science says.]

Roque reiterated the use of face shields along with face masks can reduce the risk of contracting the coronavirus.

This week, some senators reacted to the confusing decision of the Palace on the use of face shields. On Monday, President Rodrigo Duterte ordered that wearing face shields is required anew both indoors and outdoors.

READ: Palace says nothing wrong with 'flip-flopping' on COVID-19 policies

On Wednesday, Senate President Vicente Sotto III filed a resolution seeking a probe on the efficacy of face shields.

Senators Francis Pangilinan and Panfilo Lacson also floated the idea that there may be a group or individuals profiting from the face shield policy.

"I wouldn't be surprised as was established with the overpriced testing kits, PPEs (personal protective equipment), and testing equipment involving the DOH (Department of Health) exposed in Senate hearings last year," Pangilinan said.