COVID-19 cases surpass 1.3 million as active infections breach 61,000 anew

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

The country's total number of COVID-19 cases exceeded 1.3 million on Friday after 6,686 more people got infected, the Department of Health said. (FILE PHOTO)

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, June 11) — The country's total number of COVID-19 cases exceeded 1.3 million on Friday after 6,686 more people got infected, the Department of Health said.

The DOH case bulletin counted a total of 1,300,349 cases with 4.7% or 61,345 of them active or people currently sick. It is the highest active case count since the 63,000 last May 8.

At least 91.6% of the active cases have mild symptoms, 4.3% have no symptoms, 1.7% have severe symptoms, 1.2% are in critical condition, and 1.15% are in moderate condition.

The death toll also increased by 196 to 22,507 or 1.73% of the case total. The DOH said 127 of these new deaths were previously tagged as recoveries and reclassified after validation while 24 duplicate cases were deleted, including 20 survivors and one fatality.

The recovery count is now 1,216,497 - equivalent to 93.6% of the total infections - after 3,190 more people were cleared of the coronavirus.

The DOH said the total excludes data from three laboratories that failed to submit their reports on time. These laboratories have contributed an average of 0.27% of samples tested and 0.38% of positive individuals in the last 14 days, the DOH added.

The daily positivity rate or percentage of those who tested positive is 13.3% based on 49,371 tests as of June 9. The rate is still high compared to the World Health Organization's recommended percentage of below 5%. Experts said high rates may mean increased transmission and more cases have yet to be detected.

In the regions

The OCTA research team said on Friday that Metro Manila's daily average number of new cases decreased by 17% to 926 on June 4 to 10, prompting the Palace to consider easing restrictions by the middle of the month.

In its latest report, OCTA also noted a downward trend in Cagayan de Oro and Zamboanga City, as well as a spike in Dumaguete and Tacloban in Central and Eastern Visayas.

In Mindanao, OCTA said on Thursday that the COVID-19 situation is improving, particular in Davao City, which it marked as the "center" of the spread in the island. On Wednesday, OCTA warned that Davao City had overtaken Quezon City in the number of new infections reported.

Meanwhile, Western Visayas remains to be a "serious concern." For instance, Iloilo City's average daily attack rate, or the number of people per 100,000 who have become ill after exposure to COVID-19, is high at 26. OCTA has said a local government unit which has an average daily attack rate of more than 10 is considered "high risk."

Among Filipinos abroad, there was a surge of 153 new cases, according to the Department of Foreign Affairs, bringing the total to 20,090.

Two others died while four recovered, raising the death toll to 1,198 and the number of survivors to 12,073. There are 6,819 still undergoing treatment.

The DFA did not explain the surge like in previous posts. It also did not post case updates on Thursday.