International flights to Cebu airport diverted to NAIA from May 29 to June 5

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, May 27)— All international flights bound for the Mactan-Cebu International Airport will be diverted to the Ninoy Aquino International Airport from May 29 to June 5 as part of new COVID-19 measures, according to a memorandum released by Malacañang on Thursday.

The new order issued by Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea tasked the Transportation Department and the Manila International Airport Authority to "ensure the smooth diversion" of the flights.

Medialdea said the policy was recommended by the Inter-Agency Task Force to prevent the further spread of the coronavirus.

Malacañang also ordered the strict implementation of COVID-19 testing and quarantine protocols for inbound international travelers in all ports of entry, "regardless of any specific protocols that may be issued by local government units to the contrary."

Earlier this month, Cebu Governor Gwen Garcia announced the province will test all Filipinos from abroad — including OFWs — upon arrival at the airport. This is contrary to the IATF's rule that testing should be done seven days after their return.

READ MORE: Cebu defies IATF, tests returning Filipinos upon arrival at airport

Garcia said the IATF’s earlier rule was repressive and would strain the finances of Filipinos coming home to Cebu.