DOJ to file murder charges vs. Sandra Cam, six others over vice mayor's slay

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, April 16) — The Department of Justice has found probable cause to charge Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office board member Sandra Cam and six others over the killing of Batuan, Masbate Vice Mayor Charlie Yuson III in October 2019.

State prosecutors recommended murder charges against Cam and her son Martin Cam, the Office of the Prosecutor General said Friday, citing a resolution dated February 22. Their co-accused are then acting Batuan Mayor Nelson Cambaya, and alleged gunmen Junel Gomez, Bradford Solis, Juanito De Luna, and Rigor Dela Cruz.

On October 9, 2019, Yuson and two companions were having breakfast in Sampaloc, Manila when armed men alighted from a van and fired at them. Alberto Alforte IV, one of the vice mayor's companions, survived the ambush. State prosecutors have also recommended frustrated murder charges against the suspects for the attack on Alforte.

More than a week after the crime, the DOJ ordered the National Bureau of Investigation, its attached agency, to conduct an investigation and case build-up.

Yuson's wife, Lalaine, tagged Cam as the brains behind the killing. But Cam has denied any involvement in Yuson's death.

"Hindi kami mamamatay-tao (We are not murderers)," Cam said in an interview on radio DZMM on October 11, 2019. She said her family had moved on after her son Martin lost to Yuson's son, Charmax Jan during the May 2019 mayoral race.

Mayor Charmax Jan Yuson is back in office after the dismissal of the criminal complaints against him and his father for illegal possession of firearms and explosives last year.