No domestic flights in MECQ areas, DOTr official says

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

FILE PHOTO

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, August 3) — Domestic flights are not allowed in areas placed under modified enhanced community quarantine, while international flights will remain limited, a transportation official said on Monday.

Transportation Assistant Secretary Goddes Libiran responded to online queries hours after Metro Manila, Rizal, Bulacan, Cavite, and Laguna were announced to be placed under a two-week lockdown starting Tuesday.

"No domestic flights (to and from MECQ areas). Limited international flights," Libiran replied to a netizen with a graphic previously used by Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque.

The official added that international flights will be limited to sweeper flights arranged by government agencies and approved by the Inter-Agency Task Force.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque also confirmed this. He added inter-island travel is also banned.

DOTr also announced that the following public transport services will not be allowed under MECQ: bus, jeepney, taxi, trains (PNR, LRT-1, LRT-2, and MRT-3), and Transport Network Vehicle Service (TNVS).

Metro Manila as well as the provinces of Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna, and Rizal are set to shift back to the stricter lockdown status from midnight of August 4 until August 18, as President Rodrigo Duterte partly heeded the call of the medical community for tighter restrictions.

The announcement was made late Sunday night. The public was surprised with the sudden change in quarantine classifications, with no clear transportation guidelines and other quarantine protocols laid out by Duterte or COVID-19 task force members.