Duterte distances himself from revolutionary gov't push

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, August 25) — President Rodrigo Duterte denied ties to a private group's push to shift to a revolutionary government.

"Wala akong pakialam diyan, wala akong kilala sa mga tao na 'yan, at hindi ko iyan trabaho," he said in a taped speech that aired on Tuesday.

[Translation: I do not care about that. I know no one from the group and that is not part of my job.]

Last week, the Mayor Rodrigo Roa Duterte-National Executive Coordinating Committee launched an event to express support for a Duterte-led revolutionary government — which the group said will help fast-track the establishment of federalism before the President’s term ends in 2022. They said a revolutionary government is the way to go to heal “all the ills of our society” without amending the 1987 Constitution.

Duterte, in a 2017 speech, threatened to declare a revolutionary government to fix the country's problems.

There are still no moves to tackle constitutional amendments in the Senate and House of Representatives so far, after lawmakers noted that they need to focus on the government's battle against COVID-19. A lawyers' group said the proposal should be prohibited to progress further.

“There is no legal basis for any revolutionary government," Integrated Bar of the Philippines President Domingo Cayosa told CNN Philippines. "Because the essence of a revolutionary government is that it is established outside the law — extraconstitutionally, extralegally.”

Vice President Leni Robredo also raised suspicions over brewing talks of a revolutionary government among administration supporters. She warned that such an initiative coming from those who support the administration is illegal and may only be seeking to overthrow the Constitution.