Duterte orders probe on local courier involved in mishandling parcels in viral video

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, July 1) – President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered three government agencies to investigate J&T Express, whose personnel got caught in a viral video mishandling parcels.

In his weekly address to the nation aired early Wednesday morning, Duterte instructed the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR), and Philippine National Police-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG) to look into the local courier.

“I am ordering now because the CIDG is listening and the NBI to investigate you at ang BIR to look into your finances. Yung mga padala, nawawala tapos pagdating pinapalitan, wala ng laman (The parcels went missing and when they are received by the sendee, they have nothing inside),” said Duterte.

Duterte also warned he would not hesitate to order the closure of J&T Express if there will be violations found in the investigation of the three government agencies.

“As a courier, because of many complaints, I will close you down. Sigurado ‘yan, sasarhan kita, whether you like it or not (I am sure that I will close you, whether you like it or not),” the President added.

In a video widely shared on social media last week, some men were seen throwing packages into a J&T Express delivery truck which drew anger from netizens.

J&T Express issued an apology on their social media accounts, saying it will sanction the personnel involved in the mishandling incident.

"We would like to reiterate that we do not tolerate such acts and behavior, and we humbly take responsibility for this incident," the courier firm said in a statement.

J&T Express was set up in the country in 2018, having originated in Indonesia. It now works with big brands such as online shopping app Shopee.