Gov’t inclined to extend Luzon lockdown until April 30

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, April 6) — President Rodrigo Duterte said Monday the government is inclined to extend the enhanced community quarantine in Luzon until April 30.

"If you really want to know, we have discussed it actually even before this, we are inclined to extend the lockdown up to April 30. Tingnan natin after that," he said in a televised address.

If finalized, over 57 million people living in Luzon would continue to be under an enhanced community quarantine until the end of the month.

The movement of people will still be severely restricted, with them only being allowed to leave their homes for other essential movements, including buying food.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo earlier noted that there is an “emerging consensus” among government officials, medical experts and the business sector for the extension of the enhanced community quarantine, which is essentially a lockdown, in the country’s northern island of Luzon.

Luzon is home to Metro Manila, the country’s political and economic center.

In his second weekly report to Congress, Duterte said the National Economic and Development Authority and the Philippine Institute for Development Studies are conducting a study on the spread of COVID-19 crisis which is meant to aid the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases in deciding whether to lift, extend, expand or ease the Luzon-wide quarantine.

The Health Department has so far recorded 3,660 cases of COVID-19, 163 deaths and 73 recoveries.