Bicol region confirms first death due to COVID-19, records two more cases

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, April 6) — The Department of Health Bicol region confirmed its first casualty from COVID-19, as two more cases were recorded, bringing the total number to 13.

Regional Director Ernie Vera said that the first recorded death was a 66-year-old male Filipino from Naga City, Camarines Sur, who was the 12th recorded case in the region.

According to Naga City Mayor Nelson Legacion, the patient was admitted at the Bicol Medical Center midnight of April 2, and died a few hours later on April 3.

Vera said that the test results came in Monday, confirming that the patient was positive of COVID-19.

One of the two additional confirmed cases is a 63-year-old female Filipino from Albay, who had traveled from Baguio City. She is currently admitted at the Bicol Regional Training and Teaching Hospital.

The Health Department reported 414 new cases of the novel coronavirus disease in the country Monday, raising the total number at 3,660. There are now 163 fatalities, and 73 recoveries.

Globally, COVID-19 has infected over 1,277,000 people, according to the Johns Hopkins University COVID-19 global tracker. Of these, over 69,500 resulted in death, with Italy so far recording the highest number of fatalities. Meanwhile, some 264,000 patients have already recovered from the disease worldwide.

Authorities call on the public to practice good hygiene to help stop the spread of the viral disease. This includes regular hand washing, covering the mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing, and avoiding close contact with those who exhibit virus symptoms.

CNN Philippines stringer Rosas Olarte contributed to this report.