DILG chief Año has coronavirus

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, March 31) — Interior Secretary Eduardo Año is the first Cabinet member to contract the coronavirus.

Año, the vice chair of the National Task Force that implements the government’s COVID-19 containment measures, confirmed this in a statement Tuesday night, saying he got tested after learning that four people he had contact with contracted the viral disease.

Among the people with COVID-19 that he said he had been exposed to are Armed Forces of the Philippines chief Felimon Santos Jr. and Metro Manila Development Authority General Manager Jojo Garcia.

Año said he got tested on March 27, with the results coming out four days later.

"I make this announcement to call the attention of all persons I had close contact with to go on self-quarantine and observe any symptoms, in accordance with DOH (Department of Health) guidelines," Año said.

The Department of Interior and Local Government chief said he is not exhibiting symptoms, and that he will work from home.

"The result of my test will not in any way dampen my spirit and energy to do my job," he said, urging the public to also stay at home and always observe social distancing.

Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said he is taking all precautions against COVID-19, with him video conferencing with other members of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases.

The Philippines now has 2,084 cases of COVID-19, with 88 deaths and 49 recoveries.