Palace backs review of labor deal with Kuwait amid OFW death

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, May 20) — Malacañang on Monday backed calls to review the country’s labor agreement with Kuwait.

This comes in the wake of the death of a Filipina worker allegedly due to physical and sexual assault.

In a media briefing, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo stressed the Labor Department is already looking into the case.

“I think we should (support) it (calls for review). Because according to Secretary (Silvestre) Bello, there has been a breach in the agreement signed by the two countries,” Panelo told reporters.

“He (Bello) is investigating it and DFA (Department of Foreign Affairs) is waiting for an autopsy report,” he added.

The DFA last week reported that the Filipina, identified as Constancia Dayag, was pronounced dead on arrival after she was rushed to the Al-Sabah Hospital in Kuwait on May 14.

Dayag was initially a household service worker in 2016, the department said. She was on her second contract with her Kuwaiti employer.

This prompted several calls, particularly from rights groups, to review the Philippine-Kuwait labor deal, which was signed in May 2018. 

The Agreement on the Employment of Domestic Workers was signed by former Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano and Kuwaiti Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Sheikh Sabah Al Khaled al-Sabah.