Comelec wants candidates to pay for takedown of illegal posters
Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, March 4) — The Commission on Elections (Comelec) is mulling to make candidates pay for the takedown of illegally-placed campaign paraphernalia.
"Pinagaaralan namin 'yan ... because under the law, ang magbabayad nung expenses sa Oplan Baklas are the candidates," Comelec chair Sheriff Abas told CNN Philippines' The Source on Monday. He added that the Comelec might come up with a resolution on this matter.
[Translation: We are studying that … because under the law, candidates would have to pay the expenses for Oplan Baklas.]
Election laws prohibit the posting of campaign posters outside of common poster areas erected in public places, but they do not say that candidates should pay for the removal of their posters.
Abas said that if candidates object to being asked to pay, the poll body can present to them the posters they removed as evidence. He added that aside from paying, candidates may also face cases over their illegal campaign posters.
"Sampolan natin. Tingnan natin ... kung saan sila tatagal. [Let's try it. Let's see … how far they'll go,]" he said.
The Comelec, in cooperation with the Philippine National Police, the Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) and the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), has begun taking down illegal campaign posters last week.
It aims to expand Oplan Baklas nationwide with the help of the its regional directors and the regional offices of the DPWH.
"Medyo nagiging epal 'yung mga kandidato natin. But again, depende 'yan sa magiging tingin ng mga tao. Kung sa tingin nila epal 'yun, eh sana 'wag nila iboto," Abas said.
[Translation:Our candidates are becoming too self-serving. But again, that depends on the view of the people. If they think that they are too extra, then hopefully, they don't vote for them.]
MMDA Assistant Secretary Celine Pialago previous told CNN Philippines that at least four senatorial candidates and four party-lists have been found in violation of campaign laws, but did not state their names. She said the Comelec will enforce the respective fines.
The poll body earlier issued warnings to 40 senatorial candidates to remove their illegal posters.
Under Comelec Resolution No. 10488, candidates running for posts may only place posters on common poster areas authorized by the poll body. No campaign materials may be placed outside of these areas except on private property, with the consent of its owner.