The Closeup 'Forever Summer' concert tragedy: What we know so far

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
maxPaginationLinks: 10

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — At least five people died after suffering breathing difficulties at the Closeup Forever Summer concert on Saturday (May 21).

Here's what we know so far.

Read: Police investigates deaths of 5 individuals in Pasay City concert

Saturday (May 21)

3:00 p.m. - The “Close-Up Forever Summer Concert” begins at the open parking area of SM Mall of Asia in Pasay City. About 14,000 people attend the event. Concert-goers were allowed to drink liquor and purchase these from the different concessionaires inside the concert area.

Sunday (May 22)

Several hours later (no exact time indicated in official reports) - While the event was ongoing, five persons were found unconscious in separate locations on the concert grounds:

Ariel Leal, 22

Lance Garcia, 36

Ken Migawa, 18

Bianca Fontejon

Eric Anthony Miller, 33, American citizen

2:00 a.m. - Fontejon was brought to the Manila Doctors Hospital.

2:25 a.m. - Miller was brought to the same hospital.

Leal and Garcia were brought by the event's medical personnel to San Juan De Dios Hospital. Migawa was brought by his companion to the same hospital.

Leal was later pronounced dead. His family has refused an autopsy. No exact time of death has been disclosed.

Around 3:00 a.m. - Concert ends.

3:37 a.m. - Garcia was pronounced dead on arrival at the San Juan De Dios Hospital by attending physician Dr. Amado Flores. His remains were brought to Heritage Funeral Homes in Taguig City.

4:25 a.m. - Fontejon was declared dead by attending physician Dr. Roberto Ruiz. Her remains were brought to Paz Funeral Homes in Parañaque City.

5:00 a.m. - The Pasay City police were informed about the incident, officers told CNN Philippines

5:55 a.m. - Miller is pronounced dead by attending physician Dr. Roberto Ruiz.

1:01 p.m. - Migawa pronounced dead. His relatives bring his remains to Heritage Funeral Homes in Taguig City for autopsy.

3:00 p.m. - Investigators from the Southern Police District go to Paz Funeral Homes where Fontejon’s remains were brought for autopsy.

Dr. Wilfredo Esquivel Tierra, Assistant Chief of NBI Medico Legal Division, who performed the autopsy on Fontejon's remains, reveals that his initial finding is that she died of a massive heart attack, as did Garcia.

Dr. Tierra also took some specimen from both victims for toxicology examination to determine what triggered the heart attack.

From Paz Funeral Homes, the investigators proceed to the United States Embassy. However, offices were closed and security personnel on-duty advised them to return on Monday (May 23).

Miller’s remains are still in the morgue of Manila Doctor’s Hospital.

3:16 p.m. - Closeup, through its official Facebook page, issues a statement, saying that they are deeply saddened by the incident and that they are fully cooperating with the authorities in the investigations.

Monday (May 23)

Around 2 p.m. - Based on their initial findings, the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) says that the massive heart attacks that killed Fontejon and Garcia were due to high blood pressure, kidney failure and dehydration which are indicators of drug overdose. They are still testing tissue samples taken from the victims to identify the specific drugs they could have taken, according to NBI Chemical Forensics Division Executive Officer Felicisima Francisco.

Tuesday (May 24)

Police seek witnesses

Investigators say they have tried to convince some of the people who went to the concert to make sworn statements. The Pasay City police says no one is talking, afraid of being exposed as drug users.

“Based sa mga interviews namin sa umattend sa event, binabanggit ecstasy,” said Senior Supt. Joel Doria, chief of Pasay City police.

Pasay City police chief Senior Supt. Joel Doria says people they have interviewed said they took ecstasy.

Some of the concert-goers have been reported in social media to have taken the so-called “green amore” or fly high, a potent mix of ecstasy and shabu. Authorities are also investigating if laced drinks were passed around.

Closeup issues statement

The event organizer, Closeup, says there were no free drinks at the venue.

Ed Sunico, spokesperson of Closeup, says they have already reached out to the families of the victims to offer support and assistance.

Closeup also says it's closely cooperating with investigators.

Initial autopsy report

Chief Supt. Emmanuel Aranas, Philippine National Police crime lab director, says an autopsy showed damage in Migawa’s heart, lungs, and brain. He did not describe the damage.

Aranas says the damage in Migawa's vital organs indicates he had a drug overdose. Aranas says further tests are needed to make a conclusive statement on how the victim died.

Thursday (May 26)

Eventscape, the concert organizer, submits to NBI a copy of the event plan, which includes a provision on the manpower requirement for the security of the music fest.

The NBI says it will check how the plan was actually executed.

Saturday (May 28)

NBI agents track down one of the suspected drug dealers who allegedly sold "green amore," to party-goers. The NBI's Anti-Illegal Drugs Division says its probe led them to the suspect, Joshua Habalo.

Tuesday (May 31)

Results of NBI’s forensic analysis show the two victims had traces of the illegal drug MDMA (popularly known as ecstasy), and methylene homolog, a chemical “unfit for human consumption.”

The special investigation task force has yet to establish where the victims took the rave drugs.

A buy-bust operation outside a posh condominium in Parañaque City leads to the arrest of five suspects involved in the manufacture and distribution of party drugs. The five men will face criminal charges for violating the Anti-Dangerous Drugs Act.

Thursday (June 2)

NBI confirms they found MDMA methylene homolog in one of the victim’s bodies.

Congress will investigate the incident and set a joint committee hearing on Monday (June 6). House committees on Dangerous Drugs, Youth and Sports Development and Metro Manila Development will conduct the probe.

CNN Philippines correspondents Anjo Alimario, Rex Remitio, Gerg Cahiles and Camille Abadicio contributed to this report.