Traslacion 2016 generally peaceful, officials say

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
maxPaginationLinks: 10

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — Everything is back to normal in Manila after the procession of the Black Nazarene in Manila.

Roads which previously closed for the 20-hour long procession were reopened.

The cleanup was completed by the local government and the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA).

In some areas, there were clean up crews trailing the procession, immediately clearing the road of garbage after the image passed.

Stalls near and around the Quiapo Church were also reopened for business.

There were less medical emergencies in this year's procession. Only 1600 people were attended to by medics, compared to more than 4000 last year.

There is, however, one fatality: a 27-year-old man who underwent medical procedure just recently.

Quiapo Church Parochial Vicar Fr. Douglas Badong extended his sympathies to the man's family.

"Ito ay labis na kinalungkot namin," said Badong, adding they will extend assistance to the victim's family.

[Translation: "We are deeply saddened by this incident."]

"Emotionally, spiritually, even financially we are willing to extend our support sa family na naiwan," Badong said.

Still, Badong said Traslacion 2016 was successful.

"So far, masaya ang buong pamunuan ng Basilica ng Poong Hesus Nazareno sa kinalabasan ng Traslacion 2016," he said.

[Translation: "So far, we are happy with the procession."]

Badong said the procession seemed more peaceful, noting there were no problems transferring the image of the Black Nazarene from the Quirino Grandstand back to the church.

"Mas naging malaki yung pagbabago this year lalo na pag dating sa oras. Maagang nailabas sa Grandstand, hindi nagkagulo," he said.

[Translation: "There's a significant improvement this year compared to last year, especially in terms of time."]

Aside from months of preparation and coordination with other government agencies, Badong attributed the success to the training of those who moved the image.

"Nagkaroon sila ng retreat and team building, para mas maihanda hindi lang physically, emotionally, but also spiritually," he said.

[Translation: "There was a retreat and team building to prepare them not just physically and emotionally, but also physically."]

Meanwhile, Manila Police District Director Senior Superintendent Rolando Nana also said the procession was generally peaceful.

"Nakita natin na mas mabilis at naging smooth at orderly yung prusisyon ngayon hindi tulad last year. Kasi last year umabot tayo ng 21 hours, ngayon 20 hours lang," Nana said.

[Translation: "The procession was smooth and orderly unlike last year, since it only took us 20 hours to bring the statue to Quiapo."]

He said the crimes during the procession went down by 65 percent compared to last year.

"Pinakuha ko yung crime incidents last year kung saan nagkaroon tayo ng 20 incidents mostly pick pocket and theft tsaka lost wallet. This year naging seven," he said.

[Translation: "Crime incidents last year were 20, mostly pick pocket and theft. This year there were seven."]

Nana attributed this to their activities before the actual event where they roamed around Manila to remind and warn the public against crimes.

"Nagkaroon na ng Anti Criminality operations sa area na yan. Nagpatupad tayo ng Lambat Sibat operations, nag-check, tsaka yung mga pulis natin naging vigilant," he said, adding there were a thousand more policemen deployed this year.

[Translation: "We had Anti Criminality and Lambat Sibat operations in the area. Our policemen were also vigilant."]

Nana also said the Philippine National Police made sure side street vendors stayed only in certain areas which helped decongest the route of the procession.