COVER STORY

2022 wrap up: Biggest trends, issues in local showbiz industry

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, December 30) — The local entertainment industry in 2022 was a year packed with shocking headlines from celebrity break-ups, legal troubles, public disputes, family issues, and more.

Before this year ends, let’s take a look back at some of the biggest controversies that shocked the local entertainment realm this year.

Kris Aquino and fiancé Mel Sarmiento wedding call off

Earlier this year, TV host and actress Kris Aquino confirmed rumors that she and her fiancé – former congressman Mel Sarmiento – had broken up.

In her Instagram post on Jan. 3, Kris said Mel had broken up with her because he can’t live in a bubble with her.

“I might further put you at risk and I don’t want to be blamed for it… I already had a bubble fatigue and I will not be able to, sad to say, be able to continue living in a bubble,” Mel said in a text message.

Kris also shared photos showing that her autoimmune disease – which she disclosed to the public a few years back – had worsened.

Kris and Mel publicly announced their engagement in October 2021.

Kit Thompson allegedly abused his girlfriend Ana Jalandoni

Actress Ana Jalandoni was rushed to the hospital in March after her boyfriend – Kit Thompson – allegedly assaulted her.

It happened during Kit’s birthday celebration in Tagaytay.

Ana said she went out of their room to look for a signal because she wanted to tell a friend about their vacation.

Kit got paranoid and immediately thought that Ana will leave him. He started beating her numerous times until she was unconscious.

In an interview with TV host Boy Abunda a few months after the incident, Ana also opened up about other instances of abuse and violence during her relationship with Kit.

The Philippine National Police filed a case against Kit for violating Section 5 (a) of Republic Act 9262, also known as the Anti-Violence Against Women and Children Act.

During the same month that he was arrested, Kit was freed after posting ₱72,000 bail.

READ: Kit Thompson out on bail after allegedly mauling GF

Moira dela Torre and Jason Marvin Hernandez break-up

Everyone was shocked after Moira dela Torre and Jason Hernandez announced their break-up in May.

Their relationship looked like a match made in heaven -- they were both musically inclined and wrote songs for each other.

Jason and Moira also became best friends before making it official in 2017 and tying the knot in 2019.

“It is with a heavy heart that after three years of marriage, we announce that we are parting ways. Our love for each other remains. We request for privacy during this time,” Jason and Moira said in a now deleted Instagram post.

Jason also admitted in the post that he had been “unfaithful” to Moira during their marriage.

“Though my love for her has always been genuine, a few months ago, I confessed to Moira that I have been unfaithful to her during our marriage," he revealed.

"I believe that she deserved to know the truth rather than continue down a ‘peaceful’ but dishonest path," he added. "I take full responsibility and I’m doing my best to be better."

Carla Abellana and Tom Rodriguez split

Carla Abellana and Tom Rodriguez had been together for seven years before they got married in October 2021.

They also had numerous projects with GMA-7 as a real life couple.

But in less than a year of marriage, netizens noticed that the couple unfollowed each other on Instagram and deleted all of their photos together.

In June, Carla confirmed break-up rumors in a random Instagram comment and said that she was “disrespected, betrayed, and lied to.”

Tom, through his talent manager Popoy Caritativo’s Instagram post, also released a statement confirming the break-up and revealed plans for divorce.

Vhong Navarro’s rape case

In July, Vhong Navarro’s legal battle with Denise Cornejo resurfaced on the Internet.

It was after the Court of Appeals (CA) reversed the Department of Justice’s (DOJ) decision – which dismissed Denise’s two complaints against Vhong on the grounds of attempted rape.

The CA then directed the City Prosecutor of Taguig City to file rape by sexual intercourse and acts of lasciviousness charges against Vhong.

The court said it was erroneous for the DOJ to deny Cornejo’s petition for review on the ground that there were supposed "major inconsistencies" in the victim's complaint-affidavits.

READ: Taguig prosecutors file rape raps vs Vhong Navarro

In September, Vhong surrendered to authorities and was transferred to the Taguig City Jail in November.

After a month of detention, the court allowed Vhong to post bail of ₱1 million.

READ: Vhong Navarro posts ₱1-M bail in rape case, released from detention

The case started in 2014 after Vhong posted his photos on social media all beaten up and looking like he survived a near-death experience.

According to Vhong’s statement, two men appeared in Denise’s condo unit and began assaulting him.

Eraserhead’s reunion concert

In September, the iconic Filipino rock band Eraserheads confirmed that they were going to have a reunion concert in December.

Even though some fans expressed excitement, some criticized the band for still including Marcus Adoro – who was previously accused of beating his partner Barbara Ruaro and verbally abusing his daughter Syd Hartha.

To recall, Syd opened up and posted screenshots showing her abused experience from her father Marcus in 2019.

After the issue blew up anew, Marcus posted an open letter addressed to Syd, three months before their scheduled reunion concert.

The “Ang Huling El Bimbo” reunion concert pushed through on Dec. 22, with a crowd of approximately 75,000.

Maine Mendoza calls out AlDub fans

In November, a controversial video of Alden Richards and Maine Mendoza’s (AlDub) die-hard fanatics circulated online.

In the video, fans – mostly senior citizens – were seen holding candles and singing praises to the love team as if they are worshiping.

They also believed that Maine and Alden are secretly married and have kids.

“Mabuhay ang AlDub nation, Mabuhay si Alden, Mabuhay si Maine," the woman shouted and the group echoed.

In an interview with Filipino entertainment writer Ogie Diaz, Maine disclosed that she repeatedly called out “delusional” fans but they won’t believe that it was really the actress talking to them.

“May mga taong gano'n na gusto nila nafi-feed 'yung imagination nila, and for lack of a better term, delusion nila,” she said.

“Pero mas okay kasi na early on pa lang, paalam mo na 'yong totoo," Maine also said. Pwede naman tayong mag-enjoy, ma-entertain na alam natin 'yong katotohanan na wala tayong sinasaktan or ida-damage.”

[Translation: There are people like that who want to feed their imagination, and for lack of a better term, their delusion. But it's better because it's just early on, say goodbye to the truth. We can enjoy, be entertained knowing the fact that we are not harming anyone.]

The AlDub loveteam was created in Eat Bulaga’s Kalyeseye in 2015.

Matet de Leon and Nora Aunor feud over tuyo business

Earlier in December, actress Matet de Leon went live on her Facebook account to vent out her frustration about her adoptive mother – Nora Aunor – who was going to start a business similar to hers.

Matet said that when she confronted her mother about her plan to launch a direct competitor to her business, her mother told her to let it be, arguing that Matet has numerous taping projects for fallback.

In a now deleted Instagram post, Matet also shared that she was advised by her mother to just resell her products and focus on being an actress.

After the rift over gourmet business, Matet vowed not to talk to her mother again.

Nora Aunor did not give any statement or reaction regarding the issue.

Jovit Baldivino’s death

At the age of 29, the first-ever winner of “Pilipinas Got Talent,” Jovit Baldivino, bids farewell after being comatosed for five days.

His fiancé Camille Ann Miguel said Jovit was rushed to the Jesus of Nazareth Hospital in Batangas on the night of Dec. 3 after having trouble breathing following a performance.

It turned out Jovid was previously advised by his doctor to refrain from singing as he had been “recuperating for a week with hypertension maintenance medicines.”

Jovit, however, was invited by a family friend to an event in Batangas City where he belted three songs. He was gasping for breath on his third song, according to witnesses.

The artist's agent confirmed that Jovit’s cause of death was aneurysm.