An 'angel indeed': Angel Locsin brings relief to victims of Mindanao quakes

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

PHOTO COURTESY: DICK GORDON

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, November 2) – Actress Angel Locsin and her fiancé Neil Arce flew to quake-hit Davao del Sur to personally donate and distribute relief goods and hygiene kits to affected individuals there.

In a Facebook post, Senator Richard “Dick” Gordon, said that Locsin went to the Davao del Sur chapter of the Philippine Red Cross (PRC), an organization which provides humanitarian aid.

Gordon, who is also the PRC chairman and chief executive officer, thanked Locsin for volunteering in relief operations and providing assistance during disaster response since onslaught of Typhoon Ondoy.

“Thank you, Angel, for trusting the Philippine Red Cross,” he said.

“She has been supporting PRC for a long time and has participated during our relief distributions since Typhoon Ondoy,” he added.

Last month, Locsin also made headlines after she skipped the annual ABS-CBN Ball hosted by the television network she works for, which seeks to raise funds for the beneficiaries of Bantay Bata foundation. Bantay Bata is the child welfare arm of ABS-CBN.

She chose to directly donate the amount she was supposed to spend for the fancy social event night to the charitable institution instead.

In a separate initiative, celebrity doctor Vicki Belo donated ₱2-million to victims of the strong earthquakes in Cotabato.

Belo posted a photo with a ₱2-million check, but it was replaced with a photo with Manila Mayor Isko Moreno who she said convinced her to lend a helping hand.

She then made an appeal to others to the same.

"Praying for our kababayans in Cotabato and appealing to everyone to help in any way we can. We will see this through. God bless the Philippines," she said in post she shared on her Facebook and Instagram accounts.

How to help:

Around 800 residents are staying in different evacuation centers in Digos City in Davao del Sur, which is under a state of calamity, because of the series of earthquakes. They are in need of food and water. For donations, contact the Digos City hotline at 0946-695-7777.

The following is a list of groups that have organized donation drives. For more details on how you could help, you could visit their social media pages:

The back to back tremors in some parts of Mindanao this week left at least 18 people dead, according to local authorities. The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, meanwhile, confirmed 17 deaths in the areas of Davao del Sur, Cotabato, and Sultan Kudarat, with two persons missing. The devastating quake also left 327 individuals wounded, disaster officials said.